The inscription says:
Spelæo incluſus (ſic Rege Iubente) Leonum, Numinis auxilio liberor incolumis.
Inside the pit of lions (by the king’s command), unharmed, free of man’s help.
Photos by author
Concrete, from a 1805 soapstone original, h. 8 feet, by “o Aleijadinho,” Antonio Francisco Lisboa (Brazil). Dedicated in 1962. Gift of the Government of Brazil.
The Twelve Prophets are a set of soapstone sculptures completed between 1800 and 1805  by the artist Antônio Francisco Lisboa, commonly known as Aleijadinho. The sculptures are located in the Brazilian municipality of Congonhas do Campo, where they adorn the forecourt of the Santuário do Bom Jesus de Matosinhos.
The prophet Daniel flanks the entrance passage to the courtyard, and occupies a position both facing and corresponding to that of Hosea on the opposite side. This juxtaposition of the last of the major prophets and first of the minor prophets reveals, once again, how the series as a whole utilizes iconography in the positions of the statues within the forecourt.
The face of Daniel portrays a beardless youth, as Baruch and Obadiah. However, the physiognomy of Daniel differs from theirs, especially in the carving of the eyes, the mouth and nose long, with its flared nostrils. The visage as a whole reveals a lofty and distant expression, characteristic of a hero aware of his strength. A laurel wreath adorning the miter head accentuates this aspect, and is an obvious allusion to Daniel’s victory over the lions, one of whom crouches at his right foot. Like Ezekiel, Daniel wears a long robe, tied at the waist by a belt, and buttoned at the collar. In this sculpture, it seems that Aleijadinho employed no assistance from his staff. It is the largest statue of the collection, both monolithic and particularly well executed, testifying to the skill behind its creation.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.