This building, Kiowee Church’s sixth meeting house, was erected in 1937 with the help of many Georgia Baptists as a monument to Daniel Marshall. Not later than 1770, he was arrested for preaching in Colonial Georgia at a site east of this marker. At a trial in Augusta before Colonel Edward Barnard and Parson Edward Ellington of the Church of England, he was ordered to “desist from preaching in the province.” His wife Martha defended him “with solemn denuciation of law, quoting with fluency passage after passage of scripture.” Marshall also replied “whether it be right to obey God rather than man, judge ye.” He continued to preach. His arresting officer, Samuel Cartledge, was converted, became a member of Kiowee Church which Marshall began in 1772, was also ordained, and organized and pastored churches in the area. Colonel Bernard became a close fried. Thereafter religious persecution ended in Georgia. The Marshall Historical Site, where Marshall lived and died, is east of this site on Tubman Creek, one mile past Old Kiowee Church.
Photo By Brian Scott, August 8, 2015
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Old Kiokee Baptist Church, founded by Daniel Marshall, is the earliest continuing Baptist church in Georgia. They erected their third (present) meetinghouse, in 1808, with its quaint auditorium, gallery, and hand-hewn pews. The congregation uses this building, at 2520 Ray Owens Road, for special services. For access, contact the church (706-541-1086). Inquire about the Marshall home-site and cemetery. copyrighted and Read more...
In the median of US 221, near the Appling courthouse, the people of Georgia, in 1903, erected a monument to Daniel Marshall and his “devotion and consecration…to the cause of Christ.” (See Chapter 15.). copyrighted and used by permission from David Beale, Baptist History in England and America: Personalities, Positions, and Practices Rev. Daniel Marshall Born 1706, Died 1784, Pioneer Read more...