Old Kiokee Baptist Church, founded by Daniel Marshall, is the earliest continuing Baptist church in Georgia. They erected their third (present) meetinghouse, in 1808, with its quaint auditorium, gallery, and hand-hewn pews. The congregation uses this building, at 2520 Ray Owens Road, for special services. For access, contact the church (706-541-1086). Inquire about the Marshall home-site and cemetery.
copyrighted and used by permission from David Beale, Baptist History in England and America: Personalities, Positions, and Practices
Photo By Mike Stroud, 2010 HMDB
Kiokee Church, the first Baptist Church to be constituted in Georgia, was organized in the Spring of 1772, by the Rev. Daniel Marshall, one of the founders of the Baptist denomination in Georgia. A meeting house was built, and the Rev. Daniel Marshall became the first pastor, ministering from his headquarters at Kiokee to an ever increasing number of Baptists in the area.
In October, 1784, the preliminary meeting for the organization of a Georgia Baptist Association was held at Kiokee Church. The Rev. Daniel Marshall died November 2, 1784, and some time later the church was moved to Appling and a new brick edifice erected.
Kiokee Baptist Church was incorporated December 23, 1789, as “The Anabaptist Church on Kiokee”, with Abram Marshall, William Willingham, Edmund Cartledge, John Landers, James Simms, Joseph Ray and Lewis Gardner as Trustees.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.